September 6, 2023
Dear Students, Staff and Families:
I have visited several of our schools and have found that classrooms are certainly warm and buildings with classrooms on second floors are even warmer in temperature.
To accommodate for the warm weather, administrators and teachers are making adjustments to the physical education classes, recess schedule and providing alternative teaching areas for students as needed. Water is easily accessible to everyone. However, even with these adjustments, the weather forecast for Thursday calls for even warmer temperatures.
With that in mind, I have made the decision to have an early release day for students on Thursday, September 7, 2023.
The early release schedule is as follows:
Cumberland HS – 10:55am
North Cumberland MS & Joseph L. McCourt MS – 11:35am
B.F. Norton School & Garvin Memorial School – 11:55am
Ashton School, Community School & JJ McLaughlin Cumberland Hill School – 12:40pm
Cumberland Preschool – No AM/PM Session
No after school activities – including Sports on Thursday
Philip D. Thornton, Ed.D.
Superintendent… Read More...
August 25, 2023
Dear Students, Staff and Families,
Welcome Back to School!
We look forward to opening our school doors for you this 2023-2024 school year. With our summer weather giving us a mix of both sunny and rainy days, I hope you are still enjoying your time away from school.
There have been lots of changes in the schools during the summer months. Our central office administrators, building administrators, faculty and staff have been working very hard to prepare the school buildings for our students’ first days of school. We are very appreciative of their hard work.
Ashton School has moved to its temporary location to the CHS Transitional Building. The renovations and new additions at Garvin Memorial School and Community School are near completion. We are in the midst of the final tasks to start our school year.
After being moved out of their building for a year, Garvin School students and staff will now be enjoying their newly renovated school.
Community School students and staff will be enjoying their new cafeteria, music room and additional classroom spaces. An “Opening Ceremony” for the Phase 1 Community School addition is scheduled for Wednesday, September 13, 2023 at 5:00pm.
The work at Ashton School will continue to undergo renovations this school year. Renovations at Ashton School include the completion of the new educational wing and a school renovation similar to the work now completed at Cumberland Hill and Garvin.
We want to welcome everyone back to school and we anticipate that there will be many inspirational and exciting educational experiences throughout the school year for you.
Please take a few moments to read some important information regarding the start of school.
- First Days of School –
- Wednesday, August 30, 2023 – Professional Development Day
- Thursday, August 31, 2023 – Right to Read Day
- Friday, September 1, 2023 – Faculty/Staff Orientation Day
- Tuesday, September 5, 2023 – First Day of School for Students in Elementary (1-5), Middle School (6-8) and Grade 9
- Wednesday, September 6, 2023 – Grades Pre-K – 12 Report to School – First Day for Students in Pre-K, K, Grades 10,11,12
- Reminder – No Early Release Days
- Durham Bus Tracker – There is an app available for monitoring your child’s school bus. Durham Bus Tracker® allows you to view your student’s current school bus location. Information about the route, in near real time, including the scheduled and estimated arrival times to your stop.
- If you do not know it, you can log in to Aspen and look at the student detail page. If you cannot find it or need further assistance in Aspen, please email email@example.com
- Please see the attached documents including the Durham Bus Tracker FAQ; Durham Bus Tracker Informational Sheet-English;/ Durham Bus Tracker Informational Sheet-Spanish
- School Bus Monitors Needed (part-time position) – The school bus monitor is responsible for ensuring the safe loading and unloading of school bus riders, as well as assisting the school bus driver in maintaining acceptable behavior on school buses.
- Must be at least 16 years of age
- National Background Check (BCI) required
- Perform safety checks each time students enter or leave the bus
- Must be able to work a split shift – Must be available to work between the hours of 7:15 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Work hours vary depending on assigned route (average 15 to 19 hours per week)
If you are interested, please visit SchoolSpring.com to create an account and apply to Job ID 3928896 (Bus Monitor), or contact Tracy Walton at the Cumberland School Department (401) 658-1600 x274 firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. We also have Crossing Guard positions open Job ID 3928899
- School Lunch Program –
- 2023-2024 School Meal Prices
- Elementary $2.85
- Middle School $3.00
- High School $4.00
Free/Reduced Lunch Program – Families are encouraged to complete and submit applications to your child’s school to verify eligibility. All schools in Cumberland participate in the Federal Lunch Program. Nutritious breakfasts, lunches and milk are available at all schools. Applications for free and reduced price breakfasts and lunches are sent home at the beginning of the school year and are available at the school anytime during the year.
- Reminder – Free or Reduced lunch applications need to be submitted each year to approve eligibility status.
- To apply online *Click Here*
- Menus are available online at: https://cumberland.sodexomyway.com/. The schools have an electronic lunch ticket ID system. All students will have a pin number. This ID number stays with each student until graduation. We encourage parents to prepay for their child’s meals on an electronic account.